NCVO has recently released the results of their annual joint report with the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF).
The findings are stark. They show a real terms 20% fall in donations to charities during the past year. Fewer people are giving and those who do are giving less. And this is against a backdrop of spending cuts and rising demand for members’ services. Whilst the picture for individual charities varies, this overall view of the sector is concerning.
Britain, however, remains a generous nation with donors supporting all manner of good causes, both at home and overseas. Preserving and making best use of that generosity is more important now than ever so that’s why, together with CAF, NCVO have launched a new campaign:
Back Britain’s Charities
It has five key aims. It’s asking…
- The public to support charities through regular giving, regardless of how much time or money they can give.
- The Government to modernise and promote Gift Aid and payroll giving so donations go further.
- The Government to ensure that public bodies do not cut funding for charities disproportionately when making spending reductions.
- Businesses to support charities, either through donations or through practical means.
- Charities to work with the Government to modernise and improve fundraising and to enhance their impact so that every pound given goes further to helping beneficiaries.
Show your support by signing up on the campaign website at
You can also show your support on Twitter using #backingcharity.
And crucially, ask as many of your contacts as possible to add their backing on the Back Britain’s Charities website.