Pier Gardens sit within the Central Seafront Conservation Area.
Originally set aside for “recreational use” by an Enclosure Award of 1842, the Gardens and Promenade were built in 1883-5 by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincoln railway company in order to consolidate the fragile clay cliff at Cleethorpes and improve the resort.
The entrance to Ross Castle has also been altered and is now accessed from the Gardens rather than the Promenade.
The height of the sea walls and promenade has been increased by building on top of the original walls in order to provide better flood defence. The former height of the walls is illustrated by a series of disused York Stone steps.
The Promenades and Gardens provide an important accompaniment to Nationally and Locally Listed buildings, the Conservation Area and form a vital component of the Resort in general.